Saturday, October 1, 2011

Idli Upma - A Great way to spice up your (c)old Idlis

What do you do when you make Idlis in excess and can't finish them off the same day? I make Idli Upma, a wonderful way to give a new avatar to your cold/old idlis :) I remember, Idli Upma was one of the first tiffin items I tasted from my mom-in-law's kitchen :) For those who do not know what tiffin means (especially given that my Spellchecker underlines it in squiggly red lines), it is a light meal enjoyed around 4 o'clock, between lunch and dinner. I used to enjoy tiffin as a kid everyday when I returned from school, and I even remember 'complaining' to my mom that I get to eat just upma or dosai varieties while my friends (whose moms work(ed) full-time) get to enjoy bread with butter/jam (note that white bread was the only one easily available in India in the 90s)! I now laugh at myself and feel blessed to have been pampered during my childhood :) Thank you, amma and appa :)

On to Idli Upma...
Idli Upma


What You Need -


Left over Idlis (refrigerated) - 4 or 5
Onions - 1 or 2 (chopped fine)
Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard - 1 tsp
Urad dal/Black gram dal/ உளுத்தம் பருப்பு  - 1 tsp
Channa dal/ Bengal gram dal/கடலை பருப்பு  - 1 tsp
Turmeric/ हल्दी / மஞ்சள் பொடி - 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1/4 tsp
Idli milagai podi (Gun powder) - 1/2 tsp  ---> See note below
Curry leaves - a few
Salt  -  to taste 

How To -


Warm the cold idlis in microwave for 2 minutes.
Make them into small powdery pieces using a masher gently or with a knife and a fork.

Take a kadai, heat oil, temper mustard seeds, urad dal and channa dal.
Once the lentils turn reddish, add curry leaves and chopped onions.
Add the powdered idli and then add turmeric, salt, red chilli powder and the hero - Idli MilagaPodi powder (see recipe below). Mix together for 2 minutes until flavors get mixed well.

Idli Upma
That's all :) The urad dal and channa dal give the required crunch amidst the soft idli. Eat as such, for breakfast or tiffin :)

To Make Idli Milagai Podi -

Fry 15 dry red chillies on a pan without oil. Let cool. Similarly, fry 1/2 cup of Urad al/ Black gram dal until reddish. Next, fry 1/4 cup of white sesame seeds for 3-4 minutes. After allowing them to get to room temperature, powder them in an electric mixer. Store in an air-tight container and use as required :)

Idli Milgai Podi is often mixed with sesame oil / gingely oil and enjoyed with Idlis. This is a wonderful way to pack idlis for picnics or during train travel without the mess of carrying sambar and chutney around!


2 comments:

Did you like it? Found something interesting? Do you have a alternate way of doing it? Please leave a line here. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...